Wednesday, April 3, 2019

1 W. Conway St. Apartment Manager Refused To Provide Requested Tax Form

When I moved into the seniors apartment building Hanover Square, at 1 W. Conway St. in Baltimore, it was with the help of Alliance Inc's Veterans Housing Assistance Program. Although they never did, Alliance was supposed to pay my security deposit and first months rent. They could not, because the apartment manager - Maggie - refused to give Alliance or me a requested W-9 Tax Number form. That is Hanover Square's tax number, which is required for Alliance to prove the deposit & rent money was going to a legitimate landlord. The money originally came as a grant from the Department of Veterans Affairs to Alliance.

My excellent case worker from Alliance found the available apartment, took me there and handled the interview with Maggie and the application process with me. Maggie was fully aware that Alliance was to pay my security deposit and first months rent. My case worker requested the W-9 at that time. It did not come, and I had to get out of an unlivable situation, so I had to pay the security deposit and first months rent or loose the apartment. Hanover Square is a good base for me to do my ongoing years of photography of Baltimore from. I really needed that help from Alliance to get ahead financially enough to be able to pay rent on time for the remainder of my time at Hanover Square, which I expected to be 1 to 10 years - depending on how it was living there. At one year of paying rent on time, I could have gone for a VA Home Loan.

After moving in, I had hoped to get the W-9 so that Alliance could pay some rent money for me to Hanover Square. I waited some weeks, then requested the W-9 from Maggie. After more weeks of her not supplying that paper to me, I went on the Internet and found a phone number for the building's owner then called the number. The man who answered heard what I just wrote about, thanked me for my service as a veteran, then promised to send Maggie the W-9. 

Some days later, I asked Maggie for the W-9. She replied, "I sent it back. I did not want the responsibility." That is absolutely ridiculous.  

About 8 months after the first request for the W-9, Maggie gave me one. She asked if I still needed it, and I said no but I'll take it and that was so I could prove it was a reasonable request to ask for the W-9. Alliance is limited to 90 days helping a vet, so they could not use the W-9 to help me with the rent. I never got far enough ahead to pay all rent on time, and paid a lot in fees and eviction court costs. 

Maggie knew full well I had moved in expecting that help from Alliance. Her not providing the W-9 caused me a lot of stress worrying about eviction. Me not having anyplace to go, at my age I can't survive long homeless. 

No comments: