Thursday, April 4, 2019

I Cooperated with The Window Replacement Crew But Management & Maintenance Saw It Differently

During the time I lived at 1 W. Conway St. Hanover Square Apartments for seniors in Baltimore, the windows were replaced. Four months prior to the project beginning, all residents were given flyers stating that the project was to begin, and on the day before each residents' windows were to be removed and replaced management will notify the residents for next day's prep of their apartments. The window replacement workers required the areas near the windows to be free of residents' furnishings and other possessions for designated areas. Management never gave any residents that one day warning, and some residents had their possessions moved away from their windows for months. That was very inconvenient for those residents. 

On the day prior to my windows being replaced, I knew it was about to happen so I asked the work crew boss if I needed to clear the areas for them. He said mine would be done the next day. I cleared the bedroom area that evening, because it was the most challenging with the heavy bed to be lifted up and out of the way. I have degenerative back disease and arthritis, and could not do the living room that evening, too. 

The following morning, at 9:30 am, Keith the maintenance man came down my hallway banging on doors and saying, "LET'S GO, LET'S GO, OPEN UP YOUR DOORS!!"He was acting like a drill sergeant waking up trainees. 

I was awake but still laying on my sofa, so I got up and opened up my door then sat down to let my old and worn body loosen up like every other morning. I was looking where I could place everything I had to move away from the window, when Keith came back by the open door. He said something about me getting the furnishings moved, and I replied that, "I AM! I have to figure out where to move the stuff. And I already have the bedroom done."

Like, in a flash, Maggie the apartment manager was at my open door, and angrily looking in at me. She said, "Mr. Crews, why you not have that done?  

I relied, "I've got the bedroom done! I just need to let my body loosen up while I figure out how to make the living room stuff fit over there (while pointing to the area clear of the designated work space)." 

Maggie brutally replied, "YOU HAD FOUR MONTHS TO DO IT IN!!"

It was wrong to expect us residents to have our homes disarranged for four months. It was also contrary to the flyers Maggie had created and distributed four months earlier saying that residents will be notified on the day before their windows would be replaced.

Maggie then comes out with, "You dumped a TV outside, we have you on video!"

I said,"No, I looked at the chair the TV was set on, to see if I could use it. That was all." 

The apartment has a large closet with double doors right inside from the apartment door. Maggie steps up to where I had some small items temporarily moved from the bedroom and bulging out of the closet's nearly closed doors. She took out her cellphone and photographed that, with an expression on her face of, "I got you on this one." It was very rude and ignorant of her to do so. 

We living at Hanover Square are all older and not as able as we used to be. And when my sciatica is flared up and painfully crippling, I cannot move my stuff out of the way for the workers. Maggie should have come up and first asked if I was alright, can I move the stuff. But she is too cold hearted to care.

The workers were not on my apartment's outside corridor yet, and I had the living room area cleared in time for them. 

The thing is, with Maggie and Keith, they would continue to treat me and probably talk about me among management like I had at first refused to move my stuff for the workers. They maintained a negative attitude about me. The same as with the other residents.

No comments: